Chocolate Avocado Shake
This rich, healthy chocolate shake recipe is dairy-free and gets its creaminess from avocado instead of ice cream. If you aren’t avoiding dairy, you can use regular low-fat milk and any type of semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips in place of the nondairy chocolate chips.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved and pitted
- Avocado Hass
- 1 1/2 cups vanilla almond milk or other nondairy vanilla milk
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar or maple syrup, or to taste
- 12 ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons nondairy semisweet chocolate chips, melted (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, or to taste
Active: 10 m | Ready in: 10m
- Scoop avocado into a blender; add milk, cocoa, brown sugar (or maple syrup), melted chocolate and vanilla. Pulse and puree until smooth. Add ice and puree until thick and frosty.
- To melt chocolate, microwave in a bowl on Medium (50%) for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on Medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted.
- Serving size: about 1 3/4 cups
- Per serving: 381 calories; 23 g fat(6 g sat); 11 g fiber; 45 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 84 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g sugars; 27 g added sugars; 522 IU vitamin A; 10 mg vitamin C; 194 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 154 mg sodium; 791 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (23% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (21% dv), Calcium (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv).
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
- Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate, 4 fat
Originally posted on EatingWell Magazine