Avocado pesto pasta with hot-smoked salmon
A tasty home-made pesto using basil and avocado, served with pasta, hot-smoked salmon, tomato and more avocado.
- 375g dried wide fettuccine
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, finely grated
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 avocados
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 100g baby rocket
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 185g peppered hot-smoked salmon, skin removed, flaked
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Cook pasta following packet directions. Drain, reserving ¼ cup cooking water. Cover pasta to keep warm.
- Place basil, garlic, walnuts, lemon rind and juice into a food processor. Process until finely chopped. Roughly chop 1 avocado. Add chopped avocado, oil and 2 tablespoons reserved cooking water to basil mixture. Process until smooth and combined (if mixture is too thick, add remaining tablespoon of cooking liquid). Season well with salt and pepper.
- Combine pasta, pesto, rocket, tomato and salmon in a large bowl. Slice remaining avocado. Serve pasta topped with sliced avocado and basil.
Originally published on www.taste.com